Half Term Arrangements
All students will return on Monday 25th February.
Developing skills for the future
During the beginning of the Summer Term this year, students signed up to take part in a five week workshop to develop their communication and social awareness skills. Our School Counsellor, Mrs Edwards ran the workshop for a group of students who applied.
The aim of the workshop was to help students understand and deal with certain social situations they may encounter during their lifetime and how to communicate with people in different settings. For example how you interact with a potential employer at an interview for a job or work experience, will be very different to how you interact with your younger sibling or peers at school.
The workshop also dealt with difficult situations and emotional responses and learnt positive and constructive ways in which to deal with them. Students focused on:
- What is an emotional response?
- Why do we and others, react in certain ways?
- Are there any hidden feelings behind our response?
- How do certain responses affect the way we think, the way we feel and the way we behave?
- How to express feelings in a more constructive way.
- Practicing different techniques to control and communicate feelings.
“I am very proud of the students for their commitment to attend the workshop every week and for having the willingness to take part in the activities to improve their understanding of the topic.” Mrs Edwards.
All students received certificates for taking part successfully. The skills learnt from this workshop will go on to help students approach new, and sometimes challenging moments in life, in a more confident and positive way.