GCSE Results Day: 10am - 12pm.
3rd & 4th September
Ark INSET Days - academy closed to all students.
5th September - First day of Autumn Term for all students
Year 7: arrive between 8am - 8.15am. Gates will close at 8.15am.
All other years: arrive for 10am for line up. Gates will close at 10am.
Spaghetti Structures Design Challenge
Year 8 Science students enjoyed learning through a creative way by taking part in the spaghetti design challenge.
The aim of this STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) challenge was to build the tallest free-standing spaghetti structure, using their engineering and science knowledge to do so. Students learnt to:
- Understand trial and error when working with science and engineering, and understand how important this is to develop ideas and solutions to problems.
- Develop on their teamwork skills.
- Understand that weak materials can be made stronger by using good design ideas and structure shapes.
- Understand the techniques used by engineers when designing actual structures and buildings and the consideration of tension and compression forces.
- Understand the use of mass distribution and why it’s important when building a structure.
We had some excellent ideas and were very impressed by the final structures. Well done Year 8!