Many Ark schools run a longer school day in order to provide adequate time for core subjects and enrichment opportunities. At Ark Boulton Academy we run a slightly longer school day so that our students have more time for learning and for taking part in the large number of enrichment activities that take place.
We request all our students to consider walking, cycling, public transport or a combination of methods when travelling to and from school. Click here to learn more about our Active Travel initiatives.
Want to see our school day in action? Get in touch to arrange a visit.
Covid-19 Safety Measures
Please note: the school is currently operating different entrances, bubbles and zones for each year group, alongside whole school social distancing as part of our Covid-19 safety measures.
|Year Group||Entrance and Exit Gate||Zone|
|7||Student Main Entrance which is clearly labelled.||E Block|
|8||Main Visitor Carpark entrance which is clearly labelled.||A Block|
|9||Delivery Entrance (student entrance next to the Welfare Office).||D Block (2nd Floor)|
|10||Upper School entrance between B and C Block.||B Block|
|11||Caretaker’s House entrance. This is same entrance used for Phase 2.||C Block|
We have created ‘bubbles’ to further support social distancing. Each ‘bubble’ consists of a year group.
Lower School students will remain in these bubbles for all lessons, break and lunchtimes. Students will work in year group areas to reduce their interaction with other students, they will have a designated ‘Home Room’ where all of their lessons will take place. Whilst in Home Rooms, students will stay in the same seat. They will have ready access to cleaning materials to help them to maintain our already very high standards.
Upper School students will remain in these bubbles for their break and lunchtimes. Students will work in year group areas to reduce their interaction with other students, they will have a designated ‘Home Room’ where most of their lessons will take place. Year 10 and Year 11 will move to other areas in the school to study subjects such as Art and Music, which require specialist equipment and workspaces at GCSE. Students will be escorted around the building to ensure that they are able to limit interaction with other year groups in order to keep them safe and minimise cross contamination between ‘bubbles’. Whilst in Home Rooms, students will stay in the same seat. They will have ready access to cleaning materials to help them to maintain our already very high standards.
Year Group Zones have been organised so that students remain in an area of the school that is not used by other year’s groups. Student ‘Home Rooms’ will be in these areas. In addition the outdoor space has been zoned so that students from different year groups do not mix with students from outside of their ‘bubble’.
School Day Timetable
Our school day is as below. Our current timetable has been staggered this year to minimise the movement of students and help isolate year group ‘bubbles’. However the timetable will return to one standard timetable from September (please scroll down to see the new September timetable)
Students must arrive between 08.05 – 08.25 am (the gate closes at 08.25 am). Please use this time to allow for social distancing as you enter the school premises.
Monday - Thursday:
|Lower School (KS3)||Upper School (KS4)|
|08.25 - 08.30||Registration||08.25 - 08.30||Registration|
|08.30 - 09.00||PDP||08.30 - 09.00||Future Skills|
|09.00 - 10.00||Lesson 1||09.00 - 10.00||Lesson 1|
|10.00 - 10.20||BREAK||10.00 - 11.00||Lesson 2|
|10.20 - 11.20||Lesson 2||11.00 - 11.20||BREAK|
|11.20 - 12.20||Lesson 3||11.20 - 12.20||Lesson 3|
|12.20 - 13.00||LUNCH||12.20 - 13.20||Lesson 4|
|13.00 - 14.00||Lesson 4||13.20 - 14.00||LUNCH|
|14.00 - 15.00||Lesson 5||14.00 - 15.00||Lesson 5|
|15.00 - 15.30||PDP||15.00 - 15.30||Future Skills|
|15.30 - 15.35||FINISH||15.30 - 15.35||FINISH|
|15.35 - 16.35||Detention||15.35 - 16.35||Detention|
Friday (All Years):
|08.25 - 08.30||Registration|
|08.30 - 09.00||PDP|
|09.00 - 10.00||Lesson 1|
|10.00 - 11.00||Lesson 2|
|11.00 - 11.20||BRUNCH|
|11.20 - 12.20||Lesson 3|
|12.20 - 13.20||Lesson 4|
|13.20 - 13.25||FINISH|
|13.20 - 15.20||Detention|
September 2021 School Timetable
|Monday - Thursday||Friday|
|08.00 - 08.20||Breakfast Club||08.00 - 08.20||Breakfast Club|
|08.15 - 08.25||Gates Open||08.15 - 08.25||Gates Open|
|08.25 - 08.30||Registration||08.25 - 09.25||Period 1|
|08.30 - 09.00||Lead Learning Time / Future Skills||09.25 - 10.25||Period 2|
|09.00 - 10.00||Lesson 1||10.25 - 11.25||Period 3|
|10.00 - 11.00||Lesson 2||11.25 - 12.00||BREAK|
|11.00 - 11.20||BREAK||12.00 - 13.00||Period 4|
|11.20 - 12.20||Lesson 3||13.00 - 14.00||Period 5|
|12.20 - 13.20||Lesson 4||14.00||FINISH|
|13.20 - 14.00||LUNCH||14.00 - 15.30||Detention|
|14.00 - 15.00||Lesson 5|
|15.00 - 15.30||Professional Development Programme / Future Skills|
|15.30 - 16.30||Detention|
Ark Boulton Academy believes that regular and punctual school attendance is vital for high achievement in order that students can reach their best potential. Good attendance and punctuality depend on a partnership between students, parents, carers, the academy and outside bodies. For its part, the academy expects the following from students and parents and itself:
Students are expected to:
- Attend the academy regularly.
- Arrive good time, for line-up at 8.15am each morning. (School gates close at 8.15am, so all students must be on site before this).
- Attend all lessons promptly.
Parents are expected to:
- Make sure that their children attend the academy regularly.
- Make sure that their children arrive at the academy in good time, for line-up at 8.15am each morning.
- Contact the academy by telephone (0121 773 8156) on the first day of absence and each subsequent day of absence if their child is unable to attend for any reason, followed by a written note on return.
- Ensure that their children are in full academy uniform.
- Ensure that their children are properly equipped for school.
- Arrange medical appointments outside academy time where possible.
- Ensure that no holidays are booked during term time.
- Contact their child’s tutor to discuss any concerns that they may have and which could affect their child’s attendance.
- Ensure that the school has up to date contact details.
- Where a student's attendance is not good (i.e. below 96%) provide documentary evidence of medical conditions that have an ongoing effect on attendance.
Ark Boulton Academy is expected to:
- Register students efficiently and accurately during lesson AM and again during PM in accordance with current regulations.
- Staff are expected to use the Academy's Information Management System to record at each lesson and at registration, the attendance, lateness and authorised absence data
- Pastoral staff will telephone parents if a child is absent.
- If no contact is made by parents, a home visit will be carried out on the same day of absence. Home visits will also be carried out in case of prolonged absence.
- Follow up on continued absence by inviting parents in to discuss the situation and refer poor attendance on to the relevant authorities.
- Emphasise at all times the importance of good attendance.
- Regard non-attendance as a safeguarding issue and take steps to address this in order to enure the safety and well being of all students.
- Conduct home visits to address attendance, safeguarding and well being issues.
- Promote attendance by taking account of each student’s individual needs.
- Co-operate fully with other agencies to encourage punctual attendance at school.
- Provide regular reports on each student’s attendance to parents.
- Set demanding yet realistic targets for whole academy attendance.
- Reward students with positive attendance.
Read our full policy on our policies page.